Search This Blog

About me

I have just recently begun painting with watercolors and have decided to share my exciting exploratory journey with you.
To contact me about my paintings please email me at chandniv at gmail dot com

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Maasai herdsman - Watercolor


Here is a painting that's different from the others I've posted here. I usually enjoy painting carefully, observing the various shades and shapes of objects, but sometimes, it takes so much effort and the painting seems so overworked. So here I tried painting a little more loosely. I had no reference picture to study and paint, only some images in my head from my childhood. I also wanted to complete this painting in two hours. It ended up taking three hours instead, but that wasn't too much off the mark. Although the painting didn't quite come out the way I imagined it would, I still like the way it looks - especially the impression of the cows.

Size: 9"x12"
Medium: Watercolor on watercolor paper

2 comments:

  1. I apppreciate your creations. I can see your imaginative power and love in this picture.I, also like to play with water colors. It is awesome, it has earthy fragrance as well. Could you tell me what you tried to show at the right bottom(below the cows legs)? Also, I think the proportion of the hands is interesting.Thanks for sharing , Chandi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting on my picture.
    At the bottom right, below the cows' legs, are shadows created by the cows. Without this, the painting seemed very flat, and so I added it in the end to give some perspective of space and time.

    ReplyDelete