Search This Blog

About me

I have just recently begun painting with watercolors and have decided to share my exciting exploratory journey with you.
To contact me about my paintings please email me at chandniv at gmail dot com

Monday, March 29, 2010

Watercolor- Tropical Hibiscus

Here is another painting I did last August. In this painting, I tried layering to obtain different shades on the painting. So I painted the dark areas of the flower with blue or green and later painted over with red to obtain the various shades of purple or grey-red. Similarly for the brighter areas, I had an under-painting of yellow before painting red on top. I had a lot of trouble with the background on this one. The original background on the picture was a light gray, but I wanted something darker and cooler that would make the flower and leaves in the foreground stand out a little more. I also wanted some of the leaves on the left to be less defined to give the illusion of depth. The end result looks very tropical. I am not sure I like the final composition, but I decided to stop here and move on to another painting :)

This is a scan of the original painting, with an embedded watermark. For some reason, the colors here are a little different than the original painting. I think I need to figure out some setting on the scanner to get the true colors on the scanned image.

Size: 9in by 12in
Medium: Watercolor on watercolor paper

No comments:

Post a Comment